Story of US - 41st episode!

Emily stood up and walked towards the sea. Keane followed after her.

“It’s ok if you do not want to answer that question.”

Emily turned to take a look at Keane, then turning back to face the sea, she said, “When we were in Walter’s, George was everything I had. My world came crashing down when he broke off with me. I fell from heaven to hell. He was my first love and I have always thought that we would be together forever. Back then, I would even imagine that in time to come, both of us would be walking hand in hand down the aisle. But it all ended up to be a broken dream. All these years, life has not been easy for me. The first few months, I cried to sleep every night. I have no appetite at all. Life felt so meaningless and I tried all ways to end it. It was just like those drama serials you watched on TV. I cut my wrist, swallowed pills, hang myself and even resort to drowning. Of course, those around me watched out for me and never failed to save my life. But it was the savior who saved me from drowning changed my life completely.”

“How did he manage to do that?” Keane probed.

“It was a she, a young lady in her twenties back then. I was here that afternoon, leaving everything on the beach; I slowly walked deeper and deeper into the sea. Soon, I was submerged in water. It didn’t take long before I felt a pair of strong arms pulling me out of the water and dragged me onto the shore. I was choking and crying at the same time. However, I stopped almost instantly when my vision cleared and I saw that my savior was missing a leg. She lost her leg due to a battle with cancer. I don’t know if you have heard, she was the top ballet dancer in Halliburton.”

Keane held his breathe and asked, “You meant Jennifer Spencer saved your life? I met her once at the outdoor dance performance held at Cupid Park. I was one of the representatives from Walter’s Uni hip hop dance club putting up our dance display outside of campus for the first time. Jennifer is a friendly person and everyone loves to hang around with her. She was always smiling and definitely brightens up everyone’s day.”

“Yes, and she’s a strong lady. At age 22, she has already received countless awards in ballet dancing. It was the peak of her career. However, fate was cruel to her. Cancer struck her and the doctor told her that the only way to keep her alive was to amputate one of her legs. Upon hearing that and without hesitation, Jennifer told the doctor to go ahead with the amputation. When I asked why didn’t she give the decision a second thought, her reply changed my perspective of life. Jennifer said that she has already received almost all the awards any ballet dancer could ever dream of. She believed that fate has better plans for her. After the operation and having taken sufficient rest, Jennifer signed up for swimming courses and art lessons. She even went on to take lifeguard courses. She loved children and is now an art teacher in Chicago Primary School.”

“So that was how Jennifer inspired you?” Keane asked.

“Yup. Jennifer told me that life is a journey to be traveled till the end. On the way, no doubt we would encounter obstacles. Sometimes, we fell and injured ourselves. It doesn't matter how hard we fell or how long we take to get on our feet. The most important thing is never to give up on ourselves. As long as there's a slight chance of survival in the most difficult situations, we should hold on to it. She said that if something or someone is worth you living for anymore, it wouldn't worth you dying for either. If it was worth dying for in the first place, all the more we should live on and glorify it.”

“That certainly makes sense. Jennifer was indeed a wise lady.” Keane nodded.

“Yes, I got back on my feet. I told myself that George is history and I shouldn’t be bothered over someone I can never gain back his love or trust anymore. I believe that fate has plans for me to meet someone better and more suitable in the future. With that belief, I carried on with my life more positively. True enough, someone came into my life. He brought along little surprises and a lot of laughter to me.” Emily smiled.

“You met someone new? You like him?” Keane asked.

“New? Actually, I’ve already known him when I was with George. Frankly speaking, I’ve never imagined myself falling for him back then. But over the years, he has changed. He has grown from a playful bum to a responsible and capable young guy. He brought me out of the shell I was living in and filled my darkness with his sunshine smile.”

“Does he know how you feel?”

“I certainly doubt so basing on the questions he has just asked for the past half an hour.” Emily giggled.

“Me? You mean to say that person is me?” Keane’s frown turned into a wide smile almost instantly.

“Aren’t you used to be quick in your thinking? Has the lack of practice in your hip hop dance slowed your thinking process?” Emily teased.

“Hey! I’m the top marketer with quick analytical thinking, ok? It’s just that you girls always like to talk in circles. Dropping hints to us guy is useless, don’t you see? Only by talking straight to the point would we understand how you girls feel.”

“Well, sometimes we girls do not speak straight to the point is to help you guys to engage in a longer conversation with us. Didn’t a lot of guys said that when they’re with the girls they fancy, they run out of topics to talk about regardless of how talkative they usually are? If I have told you I like you when we first reached Coral Beach, do you think I would have told you my encounter with Jennifer?”

“Ok, I admit defeat. Girls always have this inborn ability to turn the most nonsensical stuff into something that seems to make a lot of sense.” Keane shrugged his shoulders.

“If we are going to continue our conversation on this debate between both genders, we would probably end up watching sunrise. Didn’t you promised Veron to send me home by midnight? It’s already half past eleven, I’m sure it would be the last thing you want to get a scolding from my sister?”

“Oh yah, we better get going or she might sue me for abducting her sister!” Keane laughed.

They got into Keane’s car and headed for home.

“Five minutes to twelve, phew! Can we meet up tomorrow?” Keane asked as he opened the passenger door for Emily.

“For that, you might have to seek permission from Veron.”

“Huh? Are you serious?”

“I was just pulling your leg. But where are we going? I need to see what I should dress.” Emily smiled.

“Erm, just something casual and cooling in this hot weather. Ok, I’ll be wearing sleeveless tee and bermudas; you can roughly know what to wear, right?”

“Yes, I get it. Keane, can you leave after I’ve entered the house? I do not want to be the one to watch you leave.” Emily said.

“If that’s the case, let me walk you to the door then.”

Stopping outside the house front door, Emily turned and said, “Thanks for the show. It was great.”

“I should thank you for accepting my invitation and accompany me the whole day. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Emily went in to the house and Keane was on his way home. In his mind, he was planning the outing tomorrow with Emily. The alert tone of a new message received on his cell phone disrupted his thoughts.

He picked up his phone and saw this message, “Keane, I’m happy that I get o meet you after so long. I hope you would forgive me for what I’ve done in the past. I am grateful to you for brightening up my life. If possible, I hope I’ll never watch you leave just like how George walked out of Casa Roma that fateful night. Have a good rest! Take care!”

Keane smiled upon reading the message as he continued his journey home.
-------------
Where is Keane going to bring Emily to? Find out the answer right here tml night! Hang in there! The story is about to be fully published! Thank You readers for all your support and comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ugly Truth about "BREAKUPS"!

Chinese New Year 2009!

In a world where you can be anything, BE KIND! 在一個你甚麼都可以成為的世界裡,選擇善良!