Story of US - 46th episode!

***************
“Dad, why am I not the first racer in Halliburton Grand Prix?” Damien stormed into Tyson’s office.

“Damien! Don’t you know how to knock before you come in? Get out this moment; I’m having an important discussion with James.”

Damien walked towards Tyson’s desk and sat beside James.

“So, you are the first racer, James Reynolds? I’ve seen you at the race course a few times. Your racing skills are good, but still a notch behind mine.”

“Mr Tyson, I shall take my leave.” James stood up and bowed.

“Sorry, James. I’ll get back to you soon.” Tyson said.

“Now Damien, what’s the reason behind all these nonsense?” Tyson turned to his son after James stepped out of his office.

“Why did you put me as the second racer? I demand a reason.” Damien stood up and placed his hands on Tyson’s desk.

“Tell me, how much do you love racing?” Tyson asked.

“Dad, that’s an obvious thing. Don’t you know I love racing more than my life?”

“If that is so, explain to me the poor attendance for the training? Do you really think you are the best racer around or just because you are my son, you can come and go as you wish?”

“Dad! What is the point of wasting my energy on all those training? I can easily beat the rest! Tyson Motor Sports has been the winner for ten consecutive years!”

“For that reason, all the more am I not going to let you wash all my efforts down the drain! I told you to watch the videos of other competitors, have you been doing it? You do not come for training regularly and there is still room for improvement for you. Tell me, how am I going to convince other racers that I should put you as the first racer? You should be thankful that I am letting you race as the second racer! Given your skills, you are not even fit to be the reserved racer!”

“Fine! Since you are not going to let me be the first racer, I would fight for it myself!” Damien walked out and slammed the door after him.

“Honey, haven’t I been doing enough for him? Why did he become the way he is today? If only you were here…” Tyson sighed as he placed his wife’s photo to his chest.

“Bye folks!”

“Bye James! Be careful on your way home!”

Training was over. As usual, James took off on his dad’s Harley Davidson bike and headed for home.

As he approached a traffic junction, the lights turn red in his direction. James pressed on his front brakes, the bike showed no signs of slowing down.

“SHIT! The brakes are not working!” James thought out loud.

He immediately stepped on the rear brakes pedal, it was not working either! He was getting closer to the junction and the container truck is just 5 meters away. James slanted the bike to his right and together with the bike, he slides under the container truck. A delivery van came from the opposite direction of the truck and hit James. The bike got stuck underneath the van and James got thrown a few kilometers away.

James landed on the hard concrete ground. He raised his head a little and saw his bike stuck right at the bottom of the delivery van. The next moment, he lost his conscious.

“Honey, is James going to be ok?” The Reynolds family was waiting anxiously outside the operating room.

“Don’t worry, James’ a blessed child. He would be alright.” Jim consoled his worried wife.

“Agnes! What happened? Is James alright?” Veronica rushed to the hospital upon receiving Agnes’ call.

“The doctors are with him. I’m not exactly sure how it happened. Witnesses said James was traveling at high speed when the accident happened. It was red lights in his directions. I’m sure James would not beat the red lights, he never had. The police are still investigating.”

Two hours passed, finally the doctors came out of the operating room.

“Doctor, how’s my son?” Jim asked.

“His condition is stable now. However, he has lost the functions of both his legs.” The doctor said, shaking his head.

“You mean he’s semi-paralyzed?” Veronica asked.

“Did he suffer any brain injuries then?” Agnes added.

“Yes, he would no longer be able to stand on his legs and walk anymore. The lucky thing is he did not suffer any brain injuries; the helmet has protected his head and face. You may see him once the nurses have pushed him to the ward, he may need some time to wake up from the anesthetic effects.”

Back in the ward, Reynolds family continued their wait for James to wake up.

“How are we going to put it across to him when he wakes up?” Jim frowned.

“He would not be able to take it.” Angie sobbed.

“I’m sure James would be strong with our support.” Veronica said with confidence in her eyes.

“Yes. Dad, Mum, do not worry. James would face this positively.” Agnes looked at James as she said this.

“Dad… Mum…” James spoke weakly as he woke up.

“Don’t try to get up, son. You just had an operation.” Jim said.

“Dad, I’m sorry for damaging your gift from Uncle Fred. I remember the strong impact I had with the delivery van. I saw the bike crushed under the van just before I lost conscious.” James said.

“Son, as long as you are safe and sound, nothing else matters.” Jim said as his eyes turn watery.

“Sorry to interrupt. I am Inspector Holmes. We had inspected your bike, Mr Reynolds. The brakes were found to be meddled with. May we ask where was the last place you parked your bike at?” A police officer came into the ward.

“At Tyson Motor Sports, I worked there as a racer.” James replied.

“Did you make any enemies at your workplace recently?” Inspector Holmes asked.

“It’s impossible. My son gets along well with his colleagues.” Angie interrupted.

“Mr Reynolds, or you might have offended somebody unknowingly?” Inspector Holmes continued.

“Sir, if my brother was to unknowingly offended anyone, allowed me to ask how would he know that?” Agnes questioned.

“Police officer, I have a suspect in mind.”

Everyone turned their heads and looked towards the door leading to the hospital corridor.
-------------
Who was the one who turned up at the hospital? Was James' bike really been meddled with? How would he take the blow and continue his life after the accident? What would you have done if you were him then? 马路如虎口(The road is just like a tiger's mouth - direct translation), whether you are a driver, a biker or a pedestrian, pls be careful when u're on the road. We only have 1 life, so do others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ugly Truth about "BREAKUPS"!

Chinese New Year 2009!

In a world where you can be anything, BE KIND! 在一個你甚麼都可以成為的世界裡,選擇善良!