Story of US - 32nd episode!

“Pass the ball, Ted!” “Watch out!” “Back to own court!”

These are among the few commands that Aaron was shouting to Ted during the basketball training earlier.

The training has ended and the players were cleaning up in the changing room.

“Ted, is something bothering you? You don’t seem like yourself today.” Asked a concerned Aaron.

Ted kept silent.

“Hey! We’re buddies, aren’t we? There’s no secret between us, remember? Say it out, I may be able to help you?” Aaron continued.

“I want to withdraw from the school team, Aaron.” Ted replied coldly.

“WHAT?” Aaron was stunned. “Look, Ted. Whatever is the issue here, I am sure we would be able to resolve. There’s no need for you to withdraw. You know the team needs you. Moreover, you’re the vice captain and Halliburton Inter-School Championship is less than two months away. Even if you really want to leave, as your buddy and the team captain, I have a right to know what is the reason behind.”

“Agnes has not told you anything? Maybe she needs you more than me right now.”

“Ted, I’m totally confused now. What has Agnes got to do with your decision?”

“Joy is diagnosed with brain cancer. It’s the terminal stage. And the doctor said she has less than a month left. With the extensive training for the Championship, I would not have time to accompany Joy thru the rest of her life journey.” With that, Ted broke down.

“Bud, I’m sorry to hear that. You know I’m not good with words, but I would always be here for you.” Aaron patted Ted on his shoulder.

“Thanks, I would be fine. I think you better get going. Agnes is meeting you for lunch, right? Maybe she wants to break the news to you. She needs your consolation most right now.”

Aaron rushed over to meet Agnes at the canteen.

“Aaron…” Agnes hugged Aaron as tight as a kola bear would to a tree.

“Hush, baby. I know. Ted has told me about it.”

Agnes buried her face in Aaron’s jersey, “I don’t want Joy to leave me. She would be so selfish to do that! We’re twins, she said we would always be together. She said we would walk down the aisle with our partners on the same day too. How could she?”

Agnes continued sobbing for a long while; no matter how Aaron consoled her, her tears fell uncontrollably.

***********************

“Ted, aren’t you going for your training today?” Joy asked as she sat up on her bed.

“The training is cancelled.” Ted replied. “Let me help you.”

“You’re lying, your eyes betrayed you. Ted, you know you can’t lie. Especially to me.” Looking into Ted’s eyes, Joy continued. “Is it because of me?”

“I told Aaron I want to withdraw from the school team.”

“Why? The National Inter-School Championship is coming. You went through so much training and put in effort for the past few months. It would be a waste to do so.”

“It’s not important anymore, Joy. The Championship is hold yearly, there’s always another chance. However, we only lived once. I want to be there for you till…” Ted choked on his words as tears welled up in his eyes.

“Ted, I know my condition is bothering you. But do you know, I love the Ted who’s full of drive, giving his best in every shot he make at the basket each time he’s on the court. I can feel your love for me but you can’t give up your love for basketball either. I would be there to support you at the Championship match.”

“I have decided to withdraw from the team, don’t attempt to change my decision, Joy. Just let me spend more time with you.” Ted lowers his head as he speaks to avoid letting Joy see the tears in his eyes.

“Do it for me, will you? Let me see the Ted I’ve always love putting up his best show in the Championship match. It may just be the last match of yours I can ever be there to support you.” Joy speaks with strong determination.

“Joy…” Ted held Joy close to him not wanting her to see him tear.
---------------------------
Joy is my fave character, but...
Sometimes, in life, we do not have a choice...
Somethings are meant to be that way...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ugly Truth about "BREAKUPS"!

Chinese New Year 2009!

In a world where you can be anything, BE KIND! 在一個你甚麼都可以成為的世界裡,選擇善良!