Story of US - 20th episode!

“Take a seat, Ted.”

When Ted went to report for work this morning, Dave, the supervisor of the zoo assistants asked to see him during lunch at his office. Ted was visualizing different scenarios of why would Dave wants to see him. Dave sounded serious earlier on.

“Mr Dave, allow me to come straight to the point. May I know the reason you sent for me?” Ted asked as he settled down in his chair.

“From the looks in your eyes, you seemed very worried. Boy, relax yourself. I am not going to eat you up. ” Dave smiled.

“What’s your favorite animal, Ted?”

“I can only choose one? That is kind of hard. I love animals, be it big or small.”

“Yes, tell me the top most favorite on your list then.” Dave continued.

“I guessed if I really have to choose, it would be dogs. As they said, dogs are humans’ best friends!”

“I knew I got the right person!” Dave exclaimed.

“Pardon me.” Ted’s tensed up face became a puzzled one.

“I am thinking of starting a mini animal show beside the one we put up each day at the Animal Kingdom. The first person that came to my mind is you. As you have seen for yourself, the batch of teenagers who came in the same time as you has left within 3 months of employment. Among the few remaining ones, I think you have the most potential in becoming a dog trainer.” Dave explained.

“Thanks for the compliment, Sir. However, I am curious how did you come to that conclusion?”

Ted had always been a modest guy, which is why he was well like almost everywhere he goes.

“I know employees often have the mindset that higher ranking supervisors do nothing but to face the computers each day and stay in their air-con rooms. No one knows what they are doing with the computers either. I can’t say for other supervisors, but for myself, I would often take walks around the Zoo. This is a beautiful environment that we are working in. Yet, a lot of us do not take time off to admire its beauty. Not everyone knows, but I start off as an assistant just like you.”

“Really? I didn’t know that. Or rather, I have not expected it.” Ted couldn’t hide his surprised look.

“Yes, but that’s not the point here. Oh mine, I am always drifting away from my main topic. You were asking how I concluded that you are the one with most potential. When I took my walks around the Zoo to relax my mind and look at the beautiful creatures we have here, I do observe the way every one of you worked. I can sense your passion in this job, the way you take your work seriously and how you take the extra mile in giving the animals the most comfortable home as best as you could. The most important thing is I’ve noticed that you do talk to the dogs and take them out for walks during lunch hours. That is where it shows you really do like dogs a lot.”

“Wow! Mr Dave, frankly speaking I am one of those who thought that supervisors with higher salary basically just sit in and enjoy their air-con all day long. I am very surprised by your observation. It’s a shame that I didn’t realize that you have been taking walks in the Zoo.” Ted commented.

“Maybe that is because you were too obsessed with your work? Anyway, the mini animal show is just an initial plan. There are still a lot of things I have yet to work out on. Meanwhile, I hope you can go and think about it. If you are interested in becoming a dog trainer, let me know. Without a dog trainer, the show can never start. Hope to hear good news from you. I guess you better go for your lunch now. Sorry for taking up your lunch time.”

“It’s ok, Mr Dave. I’ll consider about it and let you know as soon as possible. Thanks for offering me this chance. I am very grateful.”

Ted stood up and walked towards the door.

Just when he was about to leave the room, he turned and asked, “Mr Dave, I supposed you have not eaten your lunch either. How about lunching together?”

“Oh, that would be great! It’d been a long time since I had a lunch partner. You know, there is always this invisible gap between a supervisor and his employee. The higher you climb, the lonelier you get.” Dave smiled as he stood up and walked towards Ted.

It was the nicest meal Dave ever had after he was promoted. He has long forgotten how food tastes nicer when you have a lunch partner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ugly Truth about "BREAKUPS"!

Chinese New Year 2009!

In a world where you can be anything, BE KIND! 在一個你甚麼都可以成為的世界裡,選擇善良!