Story of US - 13th episode!

(13)
It was the year end school holidays in 1998, Ralph and Naomi were at home when they saw the news. Halliburton Petroleum, the plant where his parents were working in exploded. They rushed to the plant and stayed there the whole night as the rescue operation went on. However, their parents’ bodies were never found. Together with Naomi, Ralph seeked refugee with their wealthy merchant Uncle. Their dad has always been telling them that Uncle Robbie was the best cousin he had and how deep their brotherhood was.

However, Uncle Robbie didn’t take a second look at them and asked his servants to chase them off.

“I don’t know them! Shoo them off!” These words from Robbie Paris kept replaying in Ralph’s mind for a very long time.

Ralph never forgot that stormy night. Having nowhere to go, Naomi and Ralph took shelter at a broken shed.

Ralph couldn’t sleep at all, and in the middle of the night, Naomi woke up shivering.

“Ralph, I am feeling very cold. My stomach is rumbling too.” Naomi said with a faint voice.

“Hang on there, Naomi! Wait here for me while I go out and look for food.”

Naomi held onto his hand, “Ralph, bring me with you please. I don’t want you to leave me just like Daddy and Mummy did. That morning, I kissed them good bye and they never came back for me.”

Ralph had no choice but to piggy back Naomi and went out in the heavy rain in search of food. The rain was falling and the raindrops were huge. It was the rainy season and the sky showed no intention of stopping.

James was bringing out the garbage and grumbling at the same time.

“Why do guys have to do such chores? It’s raining cats and dogs out here!”

“THUMP!”

“Holy shit! Which idiot splashed water at me?” James turned his back and was prepared to give the idiot a real scolding.

There in a puddle of water was a guy with a girl lying unconscious beside him.

Lifting his hand weakly, Ralph said, “H..elp my sis..ter..” The next moment, Ralph fainted.

“Dad! Come quick!” James shouted at the top of his voice as he ran into the house.

“What terrible things could have happened to them? Such innocent kids they are.” Angie said with a worried face.

“Yah, both of them are running down with fever when James and I brought them in.” Jim walked out of the shower, drying his hair with a towel.

“Wait, this guy looks familiar.” James commented.

“Oh, he’s the president of our song composing club!” exclaimed Joy who just walked in with warm towels in her hands.

“No wonder. He’s the guy who seldom talks to anyone. Act cool.” James said in a nonchalant tone.

“She looks cute!” said Agnes, as she hovered over Naomi.

“But look at him! He looks fierce and is definitely not likeable, are they really siblings?” James asked with a puzzled look.

“We don’t look like you either. We’re fair yet you are dark like charcoal. Even Daddy’s not as dark as you. Daddy & Mummy must have picked you up from some garbage chute!”

“Agnes, that’s bad.” Joy laughed.

“Do you believe I would punch your eyes to make them darker than tar?” James threatened, holding his fist.

“Knock it off the two of you. You would wake them up from their sleep.” Angie hushed. “Go to bed now, it’s late! I think they would sleep till tomorrow morning given the bad shape they are in.”

With Angie’s command, Reynolds family went off to bed.

“Hi, Ralph! You have woken up? Here, have some breakfast.” Joy smiled as she walks into the room where the siblings were resting.

“You know me? Where is this place and why are we here?” Ralph asked.

“I am in Walter Uni’s song composing club. This is Hartford Pub where my parents run their business downstairs and we live up here on the second level. My brother, James was bringing out the trash last night and saw you and your sister lying unconscious in the rain. So together with my dad, they brought you in.” Joy replied with her angelic smile.

“Thanks for you help! We would leave once my sister wakes up.” Ralph said.

“Hey, big guy! You do not like our place here? Can’t wait to leave?” Jim said as he walked into the room.

“This is my dad, Jim.” Joy introduced.

“Sir, thanks for putting us up for a night. This place is good. I just do not want to bother others.” Ralph tried to explain.

“You fainted at the wrong place then. I am the well-known friendliest pub owner in Halliburton City and I love to help others! Since you are here, I would not let you go till I feed your sister to be as strong as you, big guy!” Jim said. He puts his arms around Ralph shoulders and asked, “It’s not very nice to keep calling you big guy. But you are really quite well-built. What’s your name?”

“Ralph Paris.” Ralph answered.

“Ralph Paris, what a nice name! Don’t mind my curiosity, how did you and your sister end up all drenched in the rain? Both of you were down with fever and it’s 40 degrees high!” asked a concerned Angie who just walked in.

“It’s a long story.” Ralph sighed.

“If you don’t mind, our family members are all good listeners.” Angie encouraged Ralph to continue.

------------------------------
What happened after this? Well, come on back for more tomorrow! =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ugly Truth about "BREAKUPS"!

Chinese New Year 2009!

In a world where you can be anything, BE KIND! 在一個你甚麼都可以成為的世界裡,選擇善良!