Fate 缘 Chapter 5

30 July 1999, Friday
A year has passed and it was two weeks into the new semester in the second year.

“Dan, I won’t be joining you and Ken for the soccer game this afternoon. I have an urgent matter to attend to.” Leo said as they packed up after the last tutorial for the day.

“Well, it’s okay then. I’ll let Ken knows.”

“Thanks bud! I’ve got to run, I am getting late. See you next Monday!” Leo picked up his bag and dashed out of the classroom.

Leo and Dan were classmates, taking Diploma in Business IT. Leo and Ken got to know each other through Dan who was in the same CCA – Dragon Boat with Ken. The three guys got along pretty well and became very good buddies. Ken was taking Diploma in Sports & Wellness Management. Every Friday, the guys would play soccer with their classmates from both faculties.

Ash and Pat were still very good friends. Ash was in Diploma in Business and Pat was studying Accountancy. Business, Accountancy and Business IT students shared the same school building in Coral Polytechnic.

Being so, Ash would often bump into Dan; in lifts, along the corridors or in the school library. They shared a common interest in reading. Both of them enjoy having private time to themselves and would use the library as an escape from the outside world.

Whenever Dan was in the library, he would secretly wish that he would spot Ash just around the corner. In Coral Library, Ash and Dan shared the same favorite spot for reading. On the third level in the library, they would often see each other at the reading corner. Though not many words were being exchanged, it warmed both hearts with just a smile from the other person.

“Finally, it’s Friday! What shall we have for dinner tonight?” Pat asked as she walked out of the ladies with Ash.

“Pat, I’m sorry I would have to fly you plane this time. A primary school classmate called me up for a class gathering at the last minute. I’ll make up to you another time, ok?” Ash said with an apologetic smile.

“Oh, well. What can I say, right? You get going then. Perhaps I shall go home and prepare for my piano theory exams coming up this Sunday. Tomorrow shopping spree is on still then?”

“Yup, see you tomorrow.” Ash winked and rushed off.

Evening came. Pat was shopping with her classmates at Cineleisure. She had wanted to head for home after Ash left for her gathering when she bumped into her classmates who asked her to join them for the movie, “Life”. The lead was Eddie Murphy, Pat’s favorite comedy actor.

“Pat, look! Isn’t that your friend, Ash?” Eve pointed to the familiar backs of two persons who have just walked into the elevator.

The next day…
“Pat, are you alright? You don’t look good today.” Ash asked as they met up at their block void deck as arranged.

“Ash, are you keeping something from me?” Pat's reply was cold.

Pat has been bothered by the scene she saw at Cineleisure the previous day. She could not sleep the whole night. In her heart, she was hoping it was not Ash that she saw.

“Pat, I do not get what you mean.” Ash had an uneasy look on her face.

“How was your gathering yesterday?”

“Erm, good. Why did you ask?” Ash could sense that something was not right.

“Oh, really? Were you by any chance having your gathering in Cineleisure then?” There was sarcasm in Pat’s tone.

“Pat, I can explain…”

“If my memory has not failed me, you were from Anchor Primary and not Harris Park Primary. Why would Leo be with seen with you if you are going for a primary school gathering?” Pat could no longer suppress her emotions.

“Pat, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to lie to you.”

“Ash, I’m really very disappointed with you. First, you lied to me. Second, you knew of my feelings towards Leo. What’s more, we have vowed to have no secrets between each other. We were such great friends, Ash!” Tears welled up in Pat’s eyes.

“I have my reasons, Pat.”

“Fine! I would love to listen to your explanation.”

“Yes, I was out with Leo. The reason why I lied was because I know you would be unhappy if you know that we are going out. I know you still have strong feelings for him. But, we are just friends. It’s not like what you think.”

“You already have so many guys courting you. Why must you still associate with Leo?” Pat started to weep uncontrollably.

“Pat, love is something which no one can control. I can’t stop Leo from asking me out; neither can I promise you that I would not accept his courtship. All is fair and square in love.”

“What do you know about love? You gave up on someone who loves you more than anything else in this world. The guys you agreed to go on dates came from wealthy families. You think I do not know that? It’s not love that you are seeking. It is the branded gifts and the luxurious dates that lure you! You have become a materialistic person. Just what have become of the Ash I once knew? Your love for Dan, our friendship, it doesn’t mean anything to you anymore, isn’t it?”

“Pat, I thought you are the only friend who understand me best. I’m wrong, totally wrong. Moreover, what rights do you have in saying that I am a materialistic person? You are the only child and your parents treated you like a princess since you were young. Everything you want, they would get it for you even if it was the moon in the sky. You came from a well to do family while my parents have to work very hard to see my brother and I through school. They can never afford to get me the things I desired. I was taught to be grateful that I have a shelter over me and enough food to eat for my three meals a day. These guys volunteered themselves in buying expensive stuff and bringing me to high class restaurants, I did not go around searching for rich guys to hook and get things out of them. Moreover, we go out as friends. None of them is my boyfriend because I still love Dan!”

“Are you trying to say all that you did was right? So what if you were not born with a silver spoon in your mouth? Why should you go on dates with guys just because they threw themselves at you and offering you the things you desired? You can always work hard to earn money and get what you want. Everyone has a choice; it is up to them to decide which way to go in reaching their destination. Clearly, you have made your decision to take the easier way out. You should go figure everything out and I definitely need time to assess if our friendship is worth my time maintaining.” Pat stomped off after completing her sentence.

This was the first time Ash and Pat have such a heated argument. For years, they have never disagreed on anything. No matter what one does, the other party would always stand by her side be it right or wrong. Perhaps, they have bottled up their feelings for too long and the emotion volcanoes just have to erupt this time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ugly Truth about "BREAKUPS"!

Chinese New Year 2009!

In a world where you can be anything, BE KIND! 在一個你甚麼都可以成為的世界裡,選擇善良!