Fate 缘 Chapter 4

12 February 1999, Friday
“Hello, Dan!”

“Ash?” Dan was surprised to receive a call from her.
“Dan, I need a favor from you.”

“What is it?”

“I have this BCA project which I need to submit this Monday. I remembered you took this module last semester and scored an A for it. I’ll be busy this weekend and I totally have no idea how to go about doing it. Would you be able to help me complete it this time round? I would definitely be very grateful to you.” Ash requested.

“I think it shouldn’t be a problem. I still kept my copy of the project and I can use it as a reference. I would rush it for you this weekend. Leave it to me and I make sure it would be an A grade work.” Dan was more than pleased to be able to help Ash in any way he could.

“Thanks Dan! I owe you one! I don’t actually need an A grade, just help me do up a simple one for submission. I’m in a rush to go out now. Do you mind coming over my house to collect the project’s guidelines from my mum?”

“Okay, will do.”

Valentine’s Day was just around the corner and Ash had been going on dates since last week. Her schedule was all packed and that explained why she had not settled down to complete her project. Knowing that Dan had not gotten over her, Ash has expected Dan to agree in helping her. At times, Ash do have the guilt feeling in her. She knew how deep Dan was in love with her and he can provide her the kind of happiness most girls seek for. He is a good boyfriend material and certainly someone who would be a good husband. However, Ash had not enjoyed her freedom enough. Moreover, she loved the attention she was getting from the guys who were hot on her heels. On top of that, she believed Dan would always be there when she needed him.

“Hey Dan! What are you doing here? Looking for Ash?” Pat was on her way home when she met Dan at the lift lobby.

“Not really, I just went to her place to collect something from her mum.”

Dan did not want to let Pat knows that Ash has asked him to complete the project for her. Though the girls were very good friends, he knew that Pat would not be pleased about this.

“Oh, I see. How are things getting on for you?” Pat asked.

“Everything is fine. I’m coping well with the coursework so far. My part time job is manageable too. My supervisor is a very understanding person.” Dan smiled.

“Erm, what I meant was things between you and Ash.”

“Us? Well, what can I say? We still do go out at times. Ash always seems to have a lot on her mind. I never know what she is thinking, how she feels or what she really wants. She never likes people to question her. Usually, she would be the one to ask me out. I tried asking her out on a few occasions but she is just too busy. So gradually, I waited for her to ask. I can’t say the same for her as you know she broke off with me on the basis that her feelings for me have faded. But she’s the one and only I have loved and still do. Perhaps, the love would go on in the future too.”

“Dan, you are such a devoted guy. If I was Ash, I would never have let you go. Since she was the one to give up on this relationship, why should you hold onto something that you may never get? Ash may be my best friend and I support every decision she makes. However, you are a good friend of mine too. Don’t you find it hurting to see Ash hangs around with so many different guys? You do know she’s busy dating a few guys, don’t you? Have you ever wondered if all that you are doing is worth your effort?” Pat let out the frustrations she had been keeping in her for a long while.

She had the urge to tell Dan the truth, yet she understood the consequences of doing so. Pat was not ready to put her friendship with Ash on risk even though she could not comprehend with what her best friend is doing.

“Pat, I guess it’s quite hard on you for being our common friend. You may have difficulties in making your stand.”

“Dan, I am not complaining about being caught in between. I just feel that things are not fair to you. You are a nice guy and I strongly believe you deserved to be happy.”

“I am happy, really. Yes, you are right. It does hurt a tiny bit when I see the smiles on Ash’s face were because of things other guys did. However, I just can’t pull myself out of this completely. Ash meant the whole world to me. Somehow, she is irreplaceable and I don’t think I can ever love someone else like how I loved her. I’m not sure if all these I am doing are worth my effort at all. But just being able to stay by her side as a friend or watching over her from a distance is enough for me. All I ever wanted was for Ash to be happy.”

“Dan, I do not know what to say. I just hope you can find your own happiness too.” Pat sighed.

“No one knows what tomorrow may brings for us. So, just enjoy and live this moment. I better get going; Granny’s waiting for me to have dinner.” Dan looked at his watch as he said this.

In fact, he was afraid that he would not be able to complete the project in time for Ash. Dan knew how mad Ash would be if he do not fulfill his promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ugly Truth about "BREAKUPS"!

Chinese New Year 2009!

In a world where you can be anything, BE KIND! 在一個你甚麼都可以成為的世界裡,選擇善良!