Story of Us - 2nd episode!

(2)
“Jim Jim boy!” shouted Frederick across the school canteen.

“Ssshhhh! For the last time, I’m telling you, stop calling me that!” hissed Jim.

“But that’s how Aunt Wallace calls you. And it sounds really nice. But the best part is your expression whenever I call you Jim Jim boy.” Frederick giggled.

“I should never have brought you home…”

“Com’on Jim Jim boy, I’m your best pal and your Mum loves having me in the house.” Frederick said as he pokes Jim.

“Stop calling me that or stop hanging around with me.” Jim warns.

“Ok! I shall stop calling you Jim Jim boy for the moment. Ha-ha” Frederick started digging in his bag looking for something.

“Look at this, Jim J… ey, Jim.” Frederick has been calling Jim as Jim Jim boy for a week and is getting too used to it.

“What’s that you have there?” Jim asked.

“Oh, it’s an outdoor performance at the Cupid Park. There would be live band, stage play and a lot more cultural shows. You’re going with me this weekend.”

“Why do you always decide things on your own? When did I agree to go with you?”

“I knew you would say that, you cultureless person. But take a look at this before you decide.” Frederick said as he flipped over the brochure.

Upon seeing what is on the brochure, Jim’s eyes widen. “Harley Davidson exhibition! How cool can that be? When is this event and where did you said it would be?” exclaimed Jim as he snatched over the brochure. He can never resist Harley bikes.

“It’s all in the brochure, read it yourself. See you at lunch! I’m getting late for my class.” Frederick ran off for his music theory class leaving Jim staring wide eye at the brochure with his favorite Harley Davidson bikes on it.

The day of the carnival came, Jim and Frederick were among one of the few early birds to reach Cupid Park.

“Fred, look at this! How I wish I could own one? I prefer that in metallic sliver. And look at this, how cool it is!” Jim pulled Frederick straight to the Harley exhibition the minute they reached Cupid Park.

“You and your bikes stuff. I need to rush over to the live performance area before it starts. My favorite Bartley Band is the first item. Catch up with you later!” Frederick sprinted off.

An hour later, Frederick calls.

“Hello. Jim, coming up next is a magic show performance by Damon Copperland. He’s your favorite right? Come on over to the stage. On your way here, buy some nice cheesy hotdogs, ok? See you!” Frederick hangs up after speaking in bullet speed of less than ½ a min.

“That fellow! Always like that, never giving others a chance to reply.” Jim grumbled as he unwillingly leaves the Harley bikes exhibition.

“Uncle, can I have two cheesy hotdogs with extra ketchup and mustard!”

Some distance away, Jim spotted a familiar figure sitting under a birch tree near the lake.

“Hi, Angie! I saw you from the hotdog stand.”

Angie raised her head from her drawing, “Oh! Hi, Jim! You are here for the carnival?”

“Yah, I came for the Harley Davidson exhibitions. Those bikes are cool and I would love to own one. Even just to be able to ride on one for 5 minutes is enough. You are alone?” Jim asked.

“My friend came with me but she’s over at the live performance. She loves Bartley Band, heard that their performance is the first item.”

“Oh really? I came with my friend, Fred. He’s a fan of them and he’s over there too.”

“How about a hotdog? It’s nice.”

“I thought you guys were big eaters?” Angie joked as she took over the hotdog.

“And I didn’t know you can draw. It’s beautiful.”

“Thanks for the compliment.”

“What do you like to draw most?”

“I draw alot of things, from big buildings to little animals. But I love capturing nature on my drawing and often draw portraits of my family and friends.”

“You can draw anything, can you? Hope you don’t mind but I’m a straightforward person. Can I request for you to draw a Harley Davidson bike for me? I doubt I can ever own one, but it would be good enough if I can own a drawing of it. It’s kind of thick-skinned as we don’t talk much in class though we’re classmates and here I am asking you for such a big favor.”

“It’s ok, Jim. I’ve never drawn that before but I can try. I would be done with my drawing in awhile. Why don’t you show me the exact model you love?”

“Sure!” Jim replied.

Jim sat quietly and watched on as Angie completes her drawing. As they were about to go over to the bikes exhibition, Frederick came over.

“Hey, I thought you vanished into thin air with my cheesy hotdog. The magic show is over. So you were hooking up with pretty girl yah?”

“Don’t start your nonsense, Fred!” Jim nudges him in the stomach.

“That hurts!” Fred stepped back and bumped into Renee who was on her way back to meet Angie.

“Oh! I’m sorry miss! Look what you have done, Jim Jim boy!”

“Jim Jim boy?” Angie asked in astonishment.

“That’s how his Mum calls him. ha-ha” Fred continues, “You’re blushing, Jim Jim boy.”

“Fred, I’ll kill you for that! Argh!” Jim muttered under his breath.

“By the way, Renee, this is my classmate, Jim.” Angie introduced. “Jim, that’s your friend, Fred who likes Bartley Band?”

“Yah. Hi ladies! I’m Frederick and I LOVE Bartley Band to be exact. Anyway, I’m taking performing arts in Parker Tertiary.”

“That makes us all schoolmates then. Renee likes Bartley Band too and she’s a law student, our future lawyer to be!” Angie said.

“So, Fred, you stay around here with Renee and discuss your favorite Bartley Band. I’m bringing Angie over to the Harley Davidson exhibition. She’s a very good artist and has offered to draw me a Harley bike. Cool, isn’t it?” Jim said as he ran off with Angie in the direction of the exhibition.

“Oh! So this is how this drawing came about.” James said as he points to the Harley Davidson drawing that’s hanging on the wall of Hartford Pub.



Initial sketch

In progress...

Final drawing!

“Yes and if Fred has not told me about the carnival, I might never get to talk to your Mum.” Jim smiled.

“What went on after the carnival?” Joy asked.

“After the carnival, the four of us hanged out more often and meet up for lunch whenever we have the time.” Angie said.

“Each time we meet, your Mum never fails to bicker with Uncle Fred.” Renee smiled.

“Fred just likes to annoy me!” Angie protested.

“Uncle Jim, tell us more!” Ted started getting excited about story of his parents’ younger days. Though being curious, he has never asked much about Frederick. He was afraid of inflicting pain on Fernando and Renee’s wounds.

“Ok. Let me have some water first.” Jim gulped down his beer, cleared his throat and continues his story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ugly Truth about "BREAKUPS"!

Chinese New Year 2009!

In a world where you can be anything, BE KIND! 在一個你甚麼都可以成為的世界裡,選擇善良!